Six police personnel, including a sub-inspector, have been suspended for alleged dereliction of duty after explosives were found near the route used by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his visit to Bengaluru on May 10.
The suspension orders were issued by Superintendent of Police, Bengaluru South, Srinivas Gowda in connection with the recovery of an explosive-filled box near Vaderahalli Gate in Bengaluru South taluk.
According to the police sources, the explosives were detected close to the route leading to the Art of Living Foundation Ashram, where the Prime Minister was scheduled to attend a programme.
The suspended personnel include a sub-inspector, an assistant sub-inspector, and four constables who had been deployed for bandobast duty during the Prime Minister’s visit. Officials said the personnel were responsible for security in the area where the suspicious box was found and were suspended over alleged negligence and lack of alertness.
The police said the suspicious box was noticed by a constable around 9 a.m., nearly two hours before the Prime Minister’s arrival. The bomb disposal squad was immediately alerted and rushed to the spot.
Upon examination, the box was found to contain explosive materials. The explosives were safely secured, following which security agencies carried out an intensive re-check of the entire route before allowing the Prime Minister’s convoy to proceed.
Meanwhile, the police are still groping in the dark as to how the explosives ended up along the PM convoy route.


